The Security Services Department was established as critical strategic department within the NRZ with the responsibilities which are enumerated below: vigilantly
- To provide comprehensive and all round security for all railway property.
- To provide total security for all customer freight/goods in transit and holding points.
- To provide security and protection of train passengers as well as its employees.
- To enhance and improve loss control measures within the internal system.
- To identify and rank actual or potential risks on both client goods/freight and NRZ property and developing strategies to mitigate them.
- To investigate all crimes and malpractices within the system and outside and provide mechanisms for litigation purposes.
The department envisages to heighten vigilance in securing the NRZ property and customer freight or goods through an increase in static guard duties and escorts.
The department envisages the continuous provision and use of new technological gadgets to enhance its mandate which include amongst others:
- Whistle blowing
- Biometric system
- Criminal profiling
- Security surveys
- Enhanced GPS system
- Criminal intelligence